This is a huge family favorite for the Eyres, and we have it at almost every family reunion. It takes a bit of planning to do the marinade, but the actual cooking time is short, and it's a crowd pleaser! Even though the ingredients may look pretty spicy, even our little children love this recipe. This can be made up to one day in advance and reheated on the stove.
12 boneless skinless chicken breasts (serves about 18)
Marinade Ingredients *If you double this recipe, double the chicken and sauce but
don't double the marinade.)
2 cups plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (or 2 teaspoons ground ginger)
4 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, thoroughly seeded and finely chopped
8 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
4 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
Garnishes for serving
Plain yogurt or sour cream
1. Combine all marinade ingredients, then pour over chicken
and refrigerate in a plastic bag or reusable plas- tic
container for at least an hour (or up to 8-10 hours).
2. Grill or cook chicken and discard marinade.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute
garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Add cumin, paprika, and
4. Stir in tomato sauce and cream.
5. Simmer on low until sauce thickens (about 20 minutes).
6. Add the grilled chicken into the mix and simmer for10
7. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a little plain yogurt or sour
8. Serve over hot rice.