Once the chicken is cooked, this can be prepared in only about 15 minutes! It's really healthy and always a big pleaser. (You can put chicken in a Crock-Pot with the salsa and chili powder and let it cook all day, then shred the chicken and stir in all the other ingredients close to dinner time. Or you can skip the chicken-it's good with or without!)
2 cups of your favorite salsa-mild or medium-and best if chunky
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1-2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
1 large can (31 ounces) no-fat refried beans (or about 3 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon chili powder
6 cups chicken broth (about 4 14.5-ounce cans of chicken broth, or use bouillon to make the broth)
4 cups frozen whole kernel corn
3-4 cups cooked shredded or cubed cooked chicken (3-4 chicken breasts)
Topping ideas: shredded cheese, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, crumbled tortilla chips, lime
1. Over low heat, mix salsa, canned tomatoes, refried beans, garlic, and chili powder in a large soup pot until bean lumps are mostly integrated.
2. Stir in chicken broth slowly.
3. Fold in corn and chicken.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve with toppings of your choice.