7 16-ounce cans of black beans
3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 small onions, chopped
3 teaspoons crushed or minced garlic
3 16-ounce jars chunky salsa
12 teaspoons lime juice or the juice of 6 limes (optional)
6 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper (optional-adds heat)
Suggested toppings: plain yogurt or sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped red peppers, crumbled tortilla chips
1. Place three cans of beans with liquid from can as well as the broth in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Coat large saucepan or soup pot with cooking spray or a bit of olive oil. Heat over high heat and saute onion until tender.
3. Add blended bean mixture, remaining unblended beans (with liquid), garlic, salsa, optional lime juice, cumin, and crushed red pepper (if desired). Mix together.
4. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve garnished with toppings of choice.
Post a Comment